ASHRAE Student Membership Benefits and Application
NEOK ASHRAE Scholarships
The NEOK ASHRAE chapter annually offers three students scholarships to students who are pursuing careers in an ASHRAE related field. Below are the descriptions of the scholarships as well as their requirements.
Northeastern Oklahoma Chapter of ASHRAE - College Student Scholarship Program
1. The NEOK college student scholarships shall be given to two Tulsa area college students each year. Both students will be selected from applications received from either the University or Tulsa, Oklahoma State University-Tulsa, or Oklahoma State University-Okmulgee.
2. The scholarship amounts shall be $800 for two recipients.
3. The scholarships shall be awarded yearly at the April NEOK ASHRAE chapter meeting
4. The NEOK ASHRAE chapter president shall appoint an Education Committee each year at the October Board of Governor's meeting. This committee shall consist of four members, one of whom shall be the chapter's Student Activities Chair. Within this sub-committee, one member shall be the chair of the Tumilty Scholarship sub-committee and one member the chair of the College Student Scholarship sub-committee.
5. The College Student Scholarship sub-committee shall contact the faculty advisors at the three aforementioned universities in January and inform them of the availability of the two scholarships.
Requirements shall include:
Students shall be enrolled in an HVAC related curriculum
Students shall have at least one year remaining before graduation
Student shall be an ASHRAE student member
No more than three students recommended by each advisor
Students' names and addresses
Letter from each recommended candidate describing why they believe they should receive a scholarship. Letter to be not less than 500
words (submitted by March 10th).
6. Responses from the school advisors shall be due to the committee by March 10, whereupon the committee will review the applicant's submittals and select two winners. Each candidate, win or lose, will be contacted by mail of the results with the two selected winners being asked to attend the NEOK ASHRAE April chapter meeting.
7. The chapter treasurer shall write two checks (each for $800) from the chapter's general funds prior to the April chapter meeting. Checks shall be written to the student's university, in the student's name, to be used for books and/or tuition.
8. At the April chapter meeting, both recipients will be introduced by the chapter's Student Activities Chair, a brief summary of their activities/accomplishments stated, and their monetary awards issued.
Scholarship Offered by the Northeastern Oklahoma Chapter of the American Society of Heating, Refrigeration and Air-Conditioning Engineers, Inc.
1. Purpose: To award a $1000 scholarship in the name of Tulsa engineer Jack E. Tumilty (Jack E. Tumilty Scholarship) to a Tulsa metropolitan area graduating high school senior who will be entering the study of mechanical engineering at a college of their choice in the fall.
2. Requirements of applicants:
Must be an exemplary student
Must exhibit strong work ethic
Must have good moral character
Must have a proven record of interest in math and science
Must have an outstanding grade point average
3. Submission requirements
Student name and contact information
Name and address of high school and guidance counselor
Current high school transcript and resume of activities, both in-school and extracurricular
Letter from candidate stating reason for choosing the field of mechanical engineering
Indication of colleges and universities candidate is considering
4. Due date of submission: No later than March 10.
5. Award procedure:
Each submission will be reviewed by the Scholarship Committee
Approximately three candidates will be selected for personal interviews, which will be conducted by the Scholarship Committee during
the month of April
Each interviewed candidate will be notified of the results by mail
The scholarship will be awarded at the May chapter meeting of the Northeastern Oklahoma ASHRAE chapter. The meeting is held in
the evening on the second Thursday of the month. The recipient, who will be our guest for dinner, must attend this meeting to receive
6. Submit information pertaining to items 2 and 3 above to:
NEOK ASHRAE Scholarship Committee
c/o Browne Consulting Engineers, Inc.
PO Box 14538
Broken Arrow, OK 74014
This page last updated: January 26th, 2010